Learning to Slow Down Without Standing Still
It’s been over a month since I last wrote on my blog, and I thought it was time to sit down with a cup of coffee and simply catch up.
![]() |
| Catching up |
Life has been quietly moving along, although not always in the direction I expected.
One of the biggest changes is that I’ve decided to take a short break from YouTube. After nearly two years of creating videos, staying consistent, improving my editing, investing more time, and always trying to make each video a little better than the last, I found myself asking whether all the effort was still bringing me joy.
The views remained low despite my best efforts, and I realized I had developed the habit of checking my analytics every morning. It wasn’t healthy. Creating videos takes many hours, and I needed to step back and ask myself an important question:
What do I really want this next chapter of my retirement to look like?
I’m not giving up on YouTube. Far from it. I simply need a healthier balance. My plan is to return in September, posting just two videos each month instead of trying to keep up a weekly schedule. Retirement shouldn’t feel like another full-time job.
At the same time, my health has become a priority.
I’ve been dealing with sciatica, which comes and goes, although the mornings are usually the hardest. To help manage it, I’ve been having acupuncture treatments, attending Aquafit classes twice a week, enjoying the sauna and jacuzzi afterwards, stretching every day at home, and paying much more attention to what I’m eating. My daughter also bought me some pain-relief patches that have been surprisingly helpful.
Taking care of myself feels like time well spent.
![]() |
| Healthy porridge with a view |
![]() |
| Healthy salad in a tortilla bowl |
![]() |
| Hiking in the mountains |
![]() |
| Fresh Air by the Pacific Ocean |
![]() |
| Fresh Air by the Pacific Ocean |
Lately I’ve also been asking myself whether I’m procrastinating.
Should I finally buy a car? Financially I can, but do I really need one? I live within a ten-minute walk of shops, services, parks, and public transit. Vancouver’s transit takes me almost everywhere I want to go, so every time I make a list of pros and cons, I still can’t quite justify buying one.
Travel is another example.
When I lived in London, England, Europe was on my doorstep, and I travelled several times a year. Now that I’m back in Canada, I keep postponing booking even a one-week trip. World events, politics, airline disruptions—I always seem to find another reason to wait.
Sometimes I wonder if I’m simply making excuses.
But as I sat thinking about all of this, I realized I may have been looking at my retirement through the wrong lens.
It’s easy to focus on the things I haven’t done yet—the trip I haven’t booked, the car I haven’t bought, or the projects I’ve postponed. But when I stop and look back, I can also see how much has changed since I retired.
I moved back to Canada and created a cozy, comfortable home where I feel as a happiest woman.
![]() |
| My cozy Living room |
![]() |
| My cozy Dinning room |
![]() |
| My cozy Bedroom room |
![]() |
| My cozy Kitchen |
![]() |
| My view from 18th floor |
![]() |
| Night view from 18th floor |
I taught myself how to film and edit videos, started a YouTube channel, https://www.youtube.com/@VerasSlowLiving learned about blogging and SEO, and built this little corner of the internet where I can share my life and my creativity.
I’ve created dozens of original collages, opened a Shop page on my blog, and made my artwork available as prints. I’ve made new friends, become part of a wonderful community, and continue to take care of both my health and my finances. Living debt-free, staying within my budget, and watching my savings grow brings me a quiet sense of security.
Perhaps that’s the point.
Maybe retirement isn’t measured by how much we accomplish next, but by the life we’re quietly building one day at a time.
Creatively, I’ve been busier than ever.
Recently I was lucky enough to acquire more than fifty vintage magazines, and I’ve spent many happy hours cutting images and creating surreal collages.
![]() |
| Free magazines for my surreal collages |
I’ve added new artwork to Fine Art America and Redbubble, where they’re available as prints, and I’ve also created a Shop page here on my blog featuring some of my original work.
https://verasslowlivingdiaries.blogspot.com/p/shop-for-art_01642043597.html?m=0
Creating with my hands has always been where I feel most like myself. It’s the place where time disappears, and I simply enjoy the process.
![]() |
| Unboxing Elegance, surreal collage |
![]() |
| Sharp style surreal collage |
![]() |
| Woven intention, surreal collage |
![]() |
| They Came, surreal collage |
July also turned out to be a lovely month socially. I attended a couple of concerts, celebrated two birthdays, enjoyed afternoon tea with ladies from my building, and shared a wonderful Greek lunch with my neighbours.
Financially, it was a good month too. I stayed comfortably under my grocery budget while still eating healthy, nourishing meals. The money I didn’t spend went straight into my savings. Living within my means no longer feels restrictive—it feels freeing. Being practical and disciplined gives me peace of mind.
As I write this, I realize perhaps I don’t have everything figured out—and maybe that’s perfectly okay.
Maybe slowing down isn’t about doing less. Maybe it’s about noticing more, appreciating more, and finally allowing ourselves to enjoy the life we’ve spent so many years building.
So that’s where I am at the moment.
A little slower.
A little healthier.
Creating more art.
Enjoying my cozy routines.
And quietly looking forward to whatever comes next.
I’d love to hear from you. Have you ever found yourself rethinking your priorities or changing direction during a new season of life?
Learning to Slow Down Without Standing Still
It’s been over a month since I last wrote on my blog, and I thought it was time to sit down with a cup of coffee and simply catch up.
![]() |
| Catching up |
Life has been quietly moving along, although not always in the direction I expected.
One of the biggest changes is that I’ve decided to take a short break from YouTube. After nearly two years of creating videos, staying consistent, improving my editing, investing more time, and always trying to make each video a little better than the last, I found myself asking whether all the effort was still bringing me joy.
The views remained low despite my best efforts, and I realized I had developed the habit of checking my analytics every morning. It wasn’t healthy. Creating videos takes many hours, and I needed to step back and ask myself an important question:
What do I really want this next chapter of my retirement to look like?
I’m not giving up on YouTube. Far from it. I simply need a healthier balance. My plan is to return in September, posting just two videos each month instead of trying to keep up a weekly schedule. Retirement shouldn’t feel like another full-time job.
At the same time, my health has become a priority.
I’ve been dealing with sciatica, which comes and goes, although the mornings are usually the hardest. To help manage it, I’ve been having acupuncture treatments, attending Aquafit classes twice a week, enjoying the sauna and jacuzzi afterwards, stretching every day at home, and paying much more attention to what I’m eating. My daughter also bought me some pain-relief patches that have been surprisingly helpful.
Taking care of myself feels like time well spent.
![]() |
| Healthy porridge with a view |
![]() |
| Healthy salad in a tortilla bowl |
![]() |
| Hiking in the mountains |
![]() |
| Fresh Air by the Pacific Ocean |
![]() |
| Fresh Air by the Pacific Ocean |
Lately I’ve also been asking myself whether I’m procrastinating.
Should I finally buy a car? Financially I can, but do I really need one? I live within a ten-minute walk of shops, services, parks, and public transit. Vancouver’s transit takes me almost everywhere I want to go, so every time I make a list of pros and cons, I still can’t quite justify buying one.
Travel is another example.
When I lived in London, England, Europe was on my doorstep, and I travelled several times a year. Now that I’m back in Canada, I keep postponing booking even a one-week trip. World events, politics, airline disruptions—I always seem to find another reason to wait.
Sometimes I wonder if I’m simply making excuses.
But as I sat thinking about all of this, I realized I may have been looking at my retirement through the wrong lens.
It’s easy to focus on the things I haven’t done yet—the trip I haven’t booked, the car I haven’t bought, or the projects I’ve postponed. But when I stop and look back, I can also see how much has changed since I retired.
I moved back to Canada and created a cozy, comfortable home where I feel as a happiest woman.
![]() |
| My cozy Living room |
![]() |
| My cozy Dinning room |
![]() |
| My cozy Bedroom room |
![]() |
| My cozy Kitchen |
![]() |
| My view from 18th floor |
![]() |
| Night view from 18th floor |
I taught myself how to film and edit videos, started a YouTube channel, https://www.youtube.com/@VerasSlowLiving learned about blogging and SEO, and built this little corner of the internet where I can share my life and my creativity.
I’ve created dozens of original collages, opened a Shop page on my blog, and made my artwork available as prints. I’ve made new friends, become part of a wonderful community, and continue to take care of both my health and my finances. Living debt-free, staying within my budget, and watching my savings grow brings me a quiet sense of security.
Perhaps that’s the point.
Maybe retirement isn’t measured by how much we accomplish next, but by the life we’re quietly building one day at a time.
Creatively, I’ve been busier than ever.
Recently I was lucky enough to acquire more than fifty vintage magazines, and I’ve spent many happy hours cutting images and creating surreal collages.
![]() |
| Free magazines for my surreal collages |
I’ve added new artwork to Fine Art America and Redbubble, where they’re available as prints, and I’ve also created a Shop page here on my blog featuring some of my original work.
https://verasslowlivingdiaries.blogspot.com/p/shop-for-art_01642043597.html?m=0
Creating with my hands has always been where I feel most like myself. It’s the place where time disappears, and I simply enjoy the process.
![]() |
| Unboxing Elegance, surreal collage |
![]() |
| Sharp style surreal collage |
![]() |
| Woven intention, surreal collage |
![]() |
| They Came, surreal collage |
July also turned out to be a lovely month socially. I attended a couple of concerts, celebrated two birthdays, enjoyed afternoon tea with ladies from my building, and shared a wonderful Greek lunch with my neighbours.
Financially, it was a good month too. I stayed comfortably under my grocery budget while still eating healthy, nourishing meals. The money I didn’t spend went straight into my savings. Living within my means no longer feels restrictive—it feels freeing. Being practical and disciplined gives me peace of mind.
As I write this, I realize perhaps I don’t have everything figured out—and maybe that’s perfectly okay.
Maybe slowing down isn’t about doing less. Maybe it’s about noticing more, appreciating more, and finally allowing ourselves to enjoy the life we’ve spent so many years building.
So that’s where I am at the moment.
A little slower.
A little healthier.
Creating more art.
Enjoying my cozy routines.
And quietly looking forward to whatever comes next.


















No comments:
Post a Comment