You Can Be Anything You Want—Just Don’t Be Ungrateful
![]() |
| Be Grateful, Life is Good! |
Finding Peace in Times of Economic Uncertainty
Recently, I came across a quote that stayed with me:
“You can be anything you want in this world, just don’t be ungrateful.”
I liked it so much that I decided to write it down and put it on my fridge.
Perhaps because lately I have been thinking a lot about gratitude—and about how easy it is to lose sight of what we have when we are constantly surrounded by everything that is wrong with the world.
There is no denying that life has become more expensive. Groceries cost more, everyday expenses keep rising, and there is plenty of uncertainty around us. We hear about tariffs, politics, economic problems and things going wrong almost everywhere we look.
And yes, I notice it too.
I am not living in a bubble, and I certainly don’t have all the answers.
But I have been asking myself a different question lately:
What can I actually do about the things I cannot control?
The answer is surprisingly simple: not very much.
I can complain about the price of groceries, but that won’t make them cheaper.
I can spend hours listening to negative news, but that won’t solve the world’s problems.
I can become frustrated about things happening far beyond my control, but I don’t think that will improve my wellbeing—or anyone else’s.
What I can do is look at my own life and make thoughtful choices.
A little reset
Since retiring, I have been looking at my lifestyle differently.
I’ve reset my budget. I’ve cut back on things that aren’t really necessary. I’ve become much more conscious about what I buy and, perhaps more importantly, what I don’t buy.
I’ve been cooking more from scratch and paying closer attention to food waste.
I’ve been brutally decluttering my home and letting go of things that have been taking up space simply because I had difficulty letting them go.
I am slowly learning to live by a simple little philosophy:
Keep what is beautiful and useful.
![]() |
| My cozy morning coffee corner |
I don’t need a house full of things to make my home feel beautiful.
I don’t need to buy something every time I go shopping.
And I don’t need to spend money to have an enjoyable day.
There are wonderful free events around me, and I can walk to many of them. Walking has become part of my everyday life—not only because it saves money, but because I genuinely enjoy it.
Sometimes the simplest pleasures turn out to be the best ones.
A walk.
A homemade meal.
A cup of coffee at home.
A tidy room.
Something I’ve created with my own hands.
A conversation with a friend.
A beautiful afternoon.
None of these things need to cost much.
Gratitude doesn’t mean everything is perfect
I also want to be clear about something.
Being grateful doesn’t mean pretending that everything is wonderful.
I can be grateful and still be frustrated.
I can appreciate what I have and still wish some things were different.
I can acknowledge that life is challenging for many people while also reminding myself that constantly focusing on what is wrong can become exhausting.
There is a difference between recognizing a problem and living in a constant state of complaint about it.
And I think that distinction is important for our wellbeing.
We all have different circumstances. Some people have financial difficulties, some have health challenges, some are caring for family members, and some are simply going through a difficult chapter of life.
I would never presume to know what another person is carrying.
But whenever we have some room to make choices, perhaps it is worth asking ourselves:
What is within my control?
Maybe it is our spending.
Maybe it is our habits.
Maybe it is how much we consume.
Maybe it is how much news we allow into our day.
Maybe it is whether we use what we already have instead of buying something new.
Maybe it is simply where we choose to put our attention.
There is freedom in needing less
One thing I have discovered is that spending less doesn’t necessarily make life feel smaller.
Sometimes it makes life feel bigger.
When I stop thinking about what I should buy next, I have more time to appreciate what I already own.
When I declutter, I have more space.
When I cook from scratch, I appreciate food differently.
When I walk instead of automatically getting into a car, I notice my surroundings.
When I look for free things to do, I discover that enjoyment doesn’t always come with a price tag.
And when I stop comparing my life with what I see other people doing, I feel much more content with my own.
I am fortunate that my home is mortgage-free, and I don’t take that for granted. It gives me breathing room that I know not everyone has.
I also know people who officially retired but have chosen to continue working a couple of days a week. For some, it provides a little extra spending money; for others, it gives them structure, purpose and social interaction.
I think that is wonderful too.
There isn’t one right way to live.
The important thing is to be honest about our circumstances and make choices that work for our own lives.
Looking at what we still have
Perhaps this is what that little quote on my fridge is reminding me of.
![]() |
| A reminder to Be Grateful! |
You can want more without being ungrateful for what you already have.
You can work toward something better without dismissing the good things that are already part of your life.
You can acknowledge that the world is difficult without allowing that difficulty to consume every thought.
And you can take responsibility for the little corner of the world that belongs to you.
I cannot change the economy.
I cannot control the price of groceries.
I cannot solve political problems.
I cannot fix everything that is happening in the world.
But I can decide how I spend my money.
I can decide what comes into my home.
I can decide what stays.
I can decide what I cook.
I can decide how much I consume.
I can decide how much negativity I allow into my day.
And I can choose to notice the beautiful things that are still here.
Maybe that is what slow living means to me at this stage of my life.
Not having a perfect life.
Not having everything figured out.
But slowing down enough to notice what I already have.
Keeping what is beautiful and useful.
Using what I have.
Wasting less.
Wanting less.
Walking more.
Creating more.
And being grateful.
Because there will probably always be something to complain about.
There will always be another problem in the news, another price increase, another thing that isn’t working the way we think it should.
But there will also be a morning cup of coffee.
A meal we made ourselves.
A walk in the sunshine.
A friend who makes us laugh.
A home to come back to.
Something beautiful sitting on a shelf.
And another day to live.
Perhaps we don’t have to choose between being realistic and being grateful.
We can be both.
And for me, that little note on my fridge is a gentle reminder:
Be ambitious.
Be responsible.
Make changes when you can.
But don’t forget to be grateful for the life you already have.
You Can Be Anything You Want—Just Don’t Be Ungrateful
![]() |
| Be Grateful, Life is Good! |
Finding Peace in Times of Economic Uncertainty
Recently, I came across a quote that stayed with me:
“You can be anything you want in this world, just don’t be ungrateful.”
I liked it so much that I decided to write it down and put it on my fridge.
Perhaps because lately I have been thinking a lot about gratitude—and about how easy it is to lose sight of what we have when we are constantly surrounded by everything that is wrong with the world.
There is no denying that life has become more expensive. Groceries cost more, everyday expenses keep rising, and there is plenty of uncertainty around us. We hear about tariffs, politics, economic problems and things going wrong almost everywhere we look.
And yes, I notice it too.
I am not living in a bubble, and I certainly don’t have all the answers.
But I have been asking myself a different question lately:
What can I actually do about the things I cannot control?
The answer is surprisingly simple: not very much.
I can complain about the price of groceries, but that won’t make them cheaper.
I can spend hours listening to negative news, but that won’t solve the world’s problems.
I can become frustrated about things happening far beyond my control, but I don’t think that will improve my wellbeing—or anyone else’s.
What I can do is look at my own life and make thoughtful choices.
A little reset
Since retiring, I have been looking at my lifestyle differently.
I’ve reset my budget. I’ve cut back on things that aren’t really necessary. I’ve become much more conscious about what I buy and, perhaps more importantly, what I don’t buy.
I’ve been cooking more from scratch and paying closer attention to food waste.
I’ve been brutally decluttering my home and letting go of things that have been taking up space simply because I had difficulty letting them go.
I am slowly learning to live by a simple little philosophy:
Keep what is beautiful and useful.
![]() |
| My cozy morning coffee corner |
I don’t need a house full of things to make my home feel beautiful.
I don’t need to buy something every time I go shopping.
And I don’t need to spend money to have an enjoyable day.
There are wonderful free events around me, and I can walk to many of them. Walking has become part of my everyday life—not only because it saves money, but because I genuinely enjoy it.
Sometimes the simplest pleasures turn out to be the best ones.
A walk.
A homemade meal.
A cup of coffee at home.
A tidy room.
Something I’ve created with my own hands.
A conversation with a friend.
A beautiful afternoon.
None of these things need to cost much.
Gratitude doesn’t mean everything is perfect
I also want to be clear about something.
Being grateful doesn’t mean pretending that everything is wonderful.
I can be grateful and still be frustrated.
I can appreciate what I have and still wish some things were different.
I can acknowledge that life is challenging for many people while also reminding myself that constantly focusing on what is wrong can become exhausting.
There is a difference between recognizing a problem and living in a constant state of complaint about it.
And I think that distinction is important for our wellbeing.
We all have different circumstances. Some people have financial difficulties, some have health challenges, some are caring for family members, and some are simply going through a difficult chapter of life.
I would never presume to know what another person is carrying.
But whenever we have some room to make choices, perhaps it is worth asking ourselves:
What is within my control?
Maybe it is our spending.
Maybe it is our habits.
Maybe it is how much we consume.
Maybe it is how much news we allow into our day.
Maybe it is whether we use what we already have instead of buying something new.
Maybe it is simply where we choose to put our attention.
There is freedom in needing less
One thing I have discovered is that spending less doesn’t necessarily make life feel smaller.
Sometimes it makes life feel bigger.
When I stop thinking about what I should buy next, I have more time to appreciate what I already own.
When I declutter, I have more space.
When I cook from scratch, I appreciate food differently.
When I walk instead of automatically getting into a car, I notice my surroundings.
When I look for free things to do, I discover that enjoyment doesn’t always come with a price tag.
And when I stop comparing my life with what I see other people doing, I feel much more content with my own.
I am fortunate that my home is mortgage-free, and I don’t take that for granted. It gives me breathing room that I know not everyone has.
I also know people who officially retired but have chosen to continue working a couple of days a week. For some, it provides a little extra spending money; for others, it gives them structure, purpose and social interaction.
I think that is wonderful too.
There isn’t one right way to live.
The important thing is to be honest about our circumstances and make choices that work for our own lives.
Looking at what we still have
Perhaps this is what that little quote on my fridge is reminding me of.
![]() |
| A reminder to Be Grateful! |
You can want more without being ungrateful for what you already have.
You can work toward something better without dismissing the good things that are already part of your life.
You can acknowledge that the world is difficult without allowing that difficulty to consume every thought.
And you can take responsibility for the little corner of the world that belongs to you.
I cannot change the economy.
I cannot control the price of groceries.
I cannot solve political problems.
I cannot fix everything that is happening in the world.
But I can decide how I spend my money.
I can decide what comes into my home.
I can decide what stays.
I can decide what I cook.
I can decide how much I consume.
I can decide how much negativity I allow into my day.
And I can choose to notice the beautiful things that are still here.
Maybe that is what slow living means to me at this stage of my life.
Not having a perfect life.
Not having everything figured out.
But slowing down enough to notice what I already have.
Keeping what is beautiful and useful.
Using what I have.
Wasting less.
Wanting less.
Walking more.
Creating more.
And being grateful.
Because there will probably always be something to complain about.
There will always be another problem in the news, another price increase, another thing that isn’t working the way we think it should.
But there will also be a morning cup of coffee.
A meal we made ourselves.
A walk in the sunshine.
A friend who makes us laugh.
A home to come back to.
Something beautiful sitting on a shelf.
And another day to live.
Perhaps we don’t have to choose between being realistic and being grateful.
We can be both.
And for me, that little note on my fridge is a gentle reminder:
Be ambitious.
Be responsible.
Make changes when you can.
But don’t forget to be grateful for the life you already have.



No comments:
Post a Comment