Slowly Transitioning My Home from Summer to Fall | Fall Decor Part 1
![]() | ||||
|
Some people don’t enjoy decorating for every season, but I do. I love a change of scenery, and now that I’m retired and spending more time at home, I especially enjoy having a pretty and inviting space where I can cozy up with a cup of tea, a good book, or simply enjoy my surroundings.
This is Part 1 of my fall decorating, because I’m not quite ready to fully decorate for autumn yet. I signed up for an art class in September and also attend Aquafit twice a week, so my schedule is looking a little busier than usual. Instead of trying to do everything at once, I’m taking my time and doing my DIY projects and decorating here and there.
I’ll share Part 2 once the rest of my fall decorating is finished, hopefully around the middle of September.
Slowly Transitioning from Summer to Fall
I’m slowly resetting my home for the new season—sorting things out, decluttering, and bringing my fall decorations out of my storage cage.
I have quite a collection of seasonal decor, so this year I’m also trying to thin things out. I’ve already listed a few pieces on Marketplace and have sold three small baskets for $5.00.
I’m not planning to buy a lot of new decorations. Instead, I’m shopping my own home, using what I already have, and giving some of my older pieces a makeover.
I personally love neutral fall decor, but most of my fall decorations are more traditional, so I’m going to embrace what I already have rather than trying to change everything.
And, of course, I couldn’t resist a few DIY projects along the way!
A Little Colour for the Hallway
Most of the artwork and wall decor in my hallway is brown, so I wanted to introduce a little bit of colour.
I had seen a beautiful floral painting on Marketplace that I really liked, but it was too large for the space—and at $50, it was more than I wanted to spend.
Instead, I decided to create my own version using an old frame I already had.
I removed the original print because it didn’t suit my home anymore, then mixed brown and black acrylic paint with baking soda and applied two coats to the frame.
For the collage, I used papers from my stash, glued them onto cardstock from Dollarama, and added touches of acrylic paint here and there. I then lightly scraped some of the paint to give the collage a slightly distressed, aged look.
I’m really pleased with how it turned out!
The entire project cost me only $2.00, using a small amount of money I had made from selling those little baskets for $5.00. I also used Elmer’s glue and cardstock that I already had.
Sometimes a little creativity is all you need to create something completely new from something old.
![]() |
| Abstract collage composition for the entryway |
There was another wall in my living room, beside the credenza, that was looking a little bare.
Because I have a large fall oil painting nearby, I wanted to add something floral to complement it.
I went through my stash of saved prints from old books. I often find beautiful old books at thrift shops for under a dollar, and sometimes I even get them for free, so I like to save the pages and images for future projects.
Then I stopped at Dollarama and found a beautiful floral gift bag for only $1.50.
The flowers have gold detailing, which happens to coordinate beautifully with the gold light globes on my credenza.
I framed the floral design in another old frame by simply replacing the Christmas print that was inside.
Another inexpensive little transformation—and I’m very happy with how it looks.
|
|
|
|
Since I’ve been creating surreal collages, I’m always keeping an eye out for interesting frames on Marketplace. I’ve been lucky enough to find several for free.
Two of them have quotes on them, and rather than getting rid of them, I decided to keep them for myself.
Because this particular frame is quite small, I didn’t have a suitable piece of paper in my collage stash. But while going through my supplies, I found some old greeting cards with a lovely fall theme.
They turned out to be perfect for the little frame.
I love how it came together, and I think it will look lovely on my kitchen counter.
|
|
Giving My Roses a Fall Makeover
I also had some artificial roses that were simply too orange for the look I wanted.
Instead of replacing them, I decided to give them a little makeover.
I diluted some dark acrylic paint with water and dipped each rose into the wash, then left them to dry.
The result is a much more muted, rustic look that I really like.
I arranged the roses in a black vase together with dried stems that I collected during my walks in the park. I dried the stems in my pantry, and they are perfect for adding a little natural texture to my fall decor.
|
|
|
|
A Few More Little Makeovers
I had also fallen out of love with some of the vessels and table lamps in my bedroom, so instead of getting rid of them, I decided to give them makeovers.
I painted them with acrylic paint mixed with baking soda to create a slightly textured finish. Once the paint dried, I applied a couple of coats of diluted acrylic wash paint.
I also painted two thrifted pumpkins that were a little too bright and shiny for my taste. The stems I painted with permanent black marker.
It’s amazing how different something can look with just a little paint.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
I decided to tackle it now while the weather is still nice rather than leaving it until winter.
This is a thrifted coffee table that I painted a few years ago. I’ve always liked it—the size and shape are perfect for my L-shaped green sofa—but for a while I’ve been wanting to bring some of the natural wood back to the top.
I had some leftover Strippa product in my stash, so I decided that now was the perfect time to give my lovely coffee table another makeover.
After removing the old finish, I was very happy to see the natural wood again.
I really like the simplicity of the natural look, and I think it works beautifully with my green sofa.
|
|
|
|
How to Make Fabric Acorns Using Plastic Easter Eggs ⬇️⬇️
This little fall decorating project reminded me once again that you don’t need to break the bank to spruce up your home.
Before heading to the shops—or even the thrift shops, which have become considerably more expensive these days—take a look around your own home.
You might already have everything you need.
An old frame can become something completely different. A gift bag can become artwork. A dated vase can get a new life with some paint. Flowers can be transformed with a little colour, and something you have been tired of looking at can suddenly feel fresh again.
For me, that’s one of the most enjoyable parts of decorating: creating something new without necessarily buying something new.
And I’m certainly not finished yet.
I’ll continue slowly transitioning my home from summer to fall over the next few weeks, working on a few more DIY projects and bringing out more of my autumn decorations.
So this is just Part 1. I’ll share Part 2 once everything is finished, hopefully in mid-September.
If you are getting ready for autumn, check out my favorite cozy fall decorating ideas to warm up your space
Watch my older YouTube video here:ππ
https://youtu.be/O3ABU5UpQ2Y?si=FU1nS1-VawZzdOMO
Do you decorate your home seasonally?
Do you enjoy changing your decor with the seasons, or do you prefer to keep your home the same throughout the year?
And when you decorate, do you shop for new pieces each year, or do you prefer to reuse and reinvent what you already have?
I’d love to hear your thoughts and ideas in the comments.
Slowly Transitioning My Home from Summer to Fall | Fall Decor Part 1
![]() | ||||
|
Some people don’t enjoy decorating for every season, but I do. I love a change of scenery, and now that I’m retired and spending more time at home, I especially enjoy having a pretty and inviting space where I can cozy up with a cup of tea, a good book, or simply enjoy my surroundings.
This is Part 1 of my fall decorating, because I’m not quite ready to fully decorate for autumn yet. I signed up for an art class in September and also attend Aquafit twice a week, so my schedule is looking a little busier than usual. Instead of trying to do everything at once, I’m taking my time and doing my DIY projects and decorating here and there.
I’ll share Part 2 once the rest of my fall decorating is finished, hopefully around the middle of September.
Slowly Transitioning from Summer to Fall
I’m slowly resetting my home for the new season—sorting things out, decluttering, and bringing my fall decorations out of my storage cage.
I have quite a collection of seasonal decor, so this year I’m also trying to thin things out. I’ve already listed a few pieces on Marketplace and have sold three small baskets for $5.00.
I’m not planning to buy a lot of new decorations. Instead, I’m shopping my own home, using what I already have, and giving some of my older pieces a makeover.
I personally love neutral fall decor, but most of my fall decorations are more traditional, so I’m going to embrace what I already have rather than trying to change everything.
And, of course, I couldn’t resist a few DIY projects along the way!
A Little Colour for the Hallway
Most of the artwork and wall decor in my hallway is brown, so I wanted to introduce a little bit of colour.
I had seen a beautiful floral painting on Marketplace that I really liked, but it was too large for the space—and at $50, it was more than I wanted to spend.
Instead, I decided to create my own version using an old frame I already had.
I removed the original print because it didn’t suit my home anymore, then mixed brown and black acrylic paint with baking soda and applied two coats to the frame.
For the collage, I used papers from my stash, glued them onto cardstock from Dollarama, and added touches of acrylic paint here and there. I then lightly scraped some of the paint to give the collage a slightly distressed, aged look.
I’m really pleased with how it turned out!
The entire project cost me only $2.00, using a small amount of money I had made from selling those little baskets for $5.00. I also used Elmer’s glue and cardstock that I already had.
Sometimes a little creativity is all you need to create something completely new from something old.
![]() |
| Abstract collage composition for the entryway |
There was another wall in my living room, beside the credenza, that was looking a little bare.
Because I have a large fall oil painting nearby, I wanted to add something floral to complement it.
I went through my stash of saved prints from old books. I often find beautiful old books at thrift shops for under a dollar, and sometimes I even get them for free, so I like to save the pages and images for future projects.
Then I stopped at Dollarama and found a beautiful floral gift bag for only $1.50.
The flowers have gold detailing, which happens to coordinate beautifully with the gold light globes on my credenza.
I framed the floral design in another old frame by simply replacing the Christmas print that was inside.
Another inexpensive little transformation—and I’m very happy with how it looks.
|
|
|
|
Since I’ve been creating surreal collages, I’m always keeping an eye out for interesting frames on Marketplace. I’ve been lucky enough to find several for free.
Two of them have quotes on them, and rather than getting rid of them, I decided to keep them for myself.
Because this particular frame is quite small, I didn’t have a suitable piece of paper in my collage stash. But while going through my supplies, I found some old greeting cards with a lovely fall theme.
They turned out to be perfect for the little frame.
I love how it came together, and I think it will look lovely on my kitchen counter.
|
|
Giving My Roses a Fall Makeover
I also had some artificial roses that were simply too orange for the look I wanted.
Instead of replacing them, I decided to give them a little makeover.
I diluted some dark acrylic paint with water and dipped each rose into the wash, then left them to dry.
The result is a much more muted, rustic look that I really like.
I arranged the roses in a black vase together with dried stems that I collected during my walks in the park. I dried the stems in my pantry, and they are perfect for adding a little natural texture to my fall decor.
|
|
|
|
A Few More Little Makeovers
I had also fallen out of love with some of the vessels and table lamps in my bedroom, so instead of getting rid of them, I decided to give them makeovers.
I painted them with acrylic paint mixed with baking soda to create a slightly textured finish. Once the paint dried, I applied a couple of coats of diluted acrylic wash paint.
I also painted two thrifted pumpkins that were a little too bright and shiny for my taste. The stems I painted with permanent black marker.
It’s amazing how different something can look with just a little paint.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
I decided to tackle it now while the weather is still nice rather than leaving it until winter.
This is a thrifted coffee table that I painted a few years ago. I’ve always liked it—the size and shape are perfect for my L-shaped green sofa—but for a while I’ve been wanting to bring some of the natural wood back to the top.
I had some leftover Strippa product in my stash, so I decided that now was the perfect time to give my lovely coffee table another makeover.
After removing the old finish, I was very happy to see the natural wood again.
I really like the simplicity of the natural look, and I think it works beautifully with my green sofa.
|
|
|
|
How to Make Fabric Acorns Using Plastic Easter Eggs ⬇️⬇️
This little fall decorating project reminded me once again that you don’t need to break the bank to spruce up your home.
Before heading to the shops—or even the thrift shops, which have become considerably more expensive these days—take a look around your own home.
You might already have everything you need.
An old frame can become something completely different. A gift bag can become artwork. A dated vase can get a new life with some paint. Flowers can be transformed with a little colour, and something you have been tired of looking at can suddenly feel fresh again.
For me, that’s one of the most enjoyable parts of decorating: creating something new without necessarily buying something new.
And I’m certainly not finished yet.
I’ll continue slowly transitioning my home from summer to fall over the next few weeks, working on a few more DIY projects and bringing out more of my autumn decorations.
So this is just Part 1. I’ll share Part 2 once everything is finished, hopefully in mid-September.
If you are getting ready for autumn, check out my favorite cozy fall decorating ideas to warm up your space
Watch my older YouTube video here:ππ
https://youtu.be/O3ABU5UpQ2Y?si=FU1nS1-VawZzdOMO
Do you decorate your home seasonally?
Do you enjoy changing your decor with the seasons, or do you prefer to keep your home the same throughout the year?
And when you decorate, do you shop for new pieces each year, or do you prefer to reuse and reinvent what you already have?
I’d love to hear your thoughts and ideas in the comments.



























No comments:
Post a Comment