Tuesday, August 27, 2024

How I Saved Money by Drying My Own Homegrown Herbs

How I Saved Money by Drying My Own Homegrown Herbs

Since my retirement and moving back to Canada I created a mini garden on my balcony. Not having a green thumb I was pleased with my herbs and cherry tomatoes. I decided to dry my homegrown herbs—dill, parsley, green onion, and chives. It was such a simple process and a great way to save a few dollars since dried herbs can be quite expensive at the store. 

After harvesting, I washed and patted them dry, cut them then spread them out on trays and placed in a dry area for a few days. Once they were completely dried I stored them in glass jars. Now, I have a fresh supply of flavourful herbs that will last me through the fall and winter seasons! It’s a practical, easy DIY project that makes use of what I already have growing at home.


How I Saved Money by Drying My Own Homegrown Herbs
My balcony homegrown harvest  

How I Saved Money by Drying My Own Homegrown Herbs
Pat dry dill, parsley, onion, chives

How I Saved Money by Drying My Own Homegrown Herbs
Chopped chives
 
How I Saved Money by Drying My Own Homegrown Herbs
Drying process


How I Saved Money by Drying My Own Homegrown Herbs

Since my retirement and moving back to Canada I created a mini garden on my balcony. Not having a green thumb I was pleased with my herbs and cherry tomatoes. I decided to dry my homegrown herbs—dill, parsley, green onion, and chives. It was such a simple process and a great way to save a few dollars since dried herbs can be quite expensive at the store. 

After harvesting, I washed and patted them dry, cut them then spread them out on trays and placed in a dry area for a few days. Once they were completely dried I stored them in glass jars. Now, I have a fresh supply of flavourful herbs that will last me through the fall and winter seasons! It’s a practical, easy DIY project that makes use of what I already have growing at home.


How I Saved Money by Drying My Own Homegrown Herbs
My balcony homegrown harvest  

How I Saved Money by Drying My Own Homegrown Herbs
Pat dry dill, parsley, onion, chives

How I Saved Money by Drying My Own Homegrown Herbs
Chopped chives
 
How I Saved Money by Drying My Own Homegrown Herbs
Drying process


No comments:

Post a Comment

You Can Be Anything You Want—Just Don’t Be Ungrateful

You Can Be Anything You Want—Just Don’t Be Ungrateful Be Grateful, Life is Good! Finding Peace in Times of Economic Uncertainty Recently,...