Sunday, August 18, 2024

Handmade Fall Decor on a Budget: DIY Pumpkins, Wreaths, and Topiary

Handmade Fall Decor on a Budget: DIY Pumpkins, Wreaths, and Topiary

Handmade Fall Decor on a Budget: DIY Wreath
Handmade Fall Decor on a Budget: DIY Wreath

Handmade Fall Decor on a Budget: DIY Fabric Pumpkins
Handmade Fall Decor on a Budget: DIY Fabric Pumpkins

As someone who recently moved back to Canada after living abroad, I found myself without many seasonal decorations. While strolling through a local stores, I picked up a few pumpkins, but to my surprise, they were much pricier than I expected. Being on a budget, I quickly realized that I needed to get creative. So, instead of splurging on expensive decor, I decided to shop at home. Here’s what I made from old clothing items, fabric scraps, and other supplies from my crafting stash.

1. DIY Fabric Pumpkins Using some fabric scraps and old clothing items, I made the cutest fabric pumpkins. These can be crafted from virtually any material you have on hand – think old flannel shirts, sweaters, or even leftover fabric from previous projects. I stuffed them with some cotton filling and tied the tops with twine. You can also add real or faux stems, or even twigs from your backyard for a rustic touch. I also used wine corks with glued twine around. The result? Beautiful pumpkins that cost next to nothing and will make a lovely display.


2. Fall Wreath For the wreath, I purchased a wreath from Dollarama for $3.00 (with the change I had from returned empties)but you could easily use a cardboard cutout as a base. I added faux leaves, and artificial flowers from my stash. Some hot glue, a little patience, and voilà – a charming wreath perfect for hanging on the front door. To personalize it, I added a couple of my own handmade mini fabric pumpkins. The best part is it’s fully customizable based on what you have available.

Handmade Fall Decor on a Budget: DIY Topiary
Handmade Fall Decor on a Budget: DIY Topiary

3. DIY Topiary 

The topiary was another fun project using items I already had. I had 3 different sizes of wicker candle holders given to my by my daughter. I was hesitating to use them lighting candles so I came up with a better idea.

Stacking  them on top of each other and securing them with hot glue then decorated with items I had on hand. I created a simple, yet elegant, pumpkin topiary. It will be a beautiful focal point for my balcony and an excellent way to greet the season.

The Beauty of Handmade on a Budget

Not only did these DIY fall decorations save me money, but they also allowed me to recycle materials I already had. The result is a cozy, personalized fall display that brings a bit of seasonal magic into my home without breaking the bank.

I encourage anyone else looking to decorate on a budget to look around your home and see what materials you can repurpose. A little creativity goes a long way, and your handmade pieces will always have more character than anything store-bought! 

Happy crafting!


Handmade Fall Decor on a Budget: DIY Pumpkins, Wreaths, and Topiary

Handmade Fall Decor on a Budget: DIY Wreath
Handmade Fall Decor on a Budget: DIY Wreath

Handmade Fall Decor on a Budget: DIY Fabric Pumpkins
Handmade Fall Decor on a Budget: DIY Fabric Pumpkins

As someone who recently moved back to Canada after living abroad, I found myself without many seasonal decorations. While strolling through a local stores, I picked up a few pumpkins, but to my surprise, they were much pricier than I expected. Being on a budget, I quickly realized that I needed to get creative. So, instead of splurging on expensive decor, I decided to shop at home. Here’s what I made from old clothing items, fabric scraps, and other supplies from my crafting stash.

1. DIY Fabric Pumpkins Using some fabric scraps and old clothing items, I made the cutest fabric pumpkins. These can be crafted from virtually any material you have on hand – think old flannel shirts, sweaters, or even leftover fabric from previous projects. I stuffed them with some cotton filling and tied the tops with twine. You can also add real or faux stems, or even twigs from your backyard for a rustic touch. I also used wine corks with glued twine around. The result? Beautiful pumpkins that cost next to nothing and will make a lovely display.


2. Fall Wreath For the wreath, I purchased a wreath from Dollarama for $3.00 (with the change I had from returned empties)but you could easily use a cardboard cutout as a base. I added faux leaves, and artificial flowers from my stash. Some hot glue, a little patience, and voilà – a charming wreath perfect for hanging on the front door. To personalize it, I added a couple of my own handmade mini fabric pumpkins. The best part is it’s fully customizable based on what you have available.

Handmade Fall Decor on a Budget: DIY Topiary
Handmade Fall Decor on a Budget: DIY Topiary

3. DIY Topiary 

The topiary was another fun project using items I already had. I had 3 different sizes of wicker candle holders given to my by my daughter. I was hesitating to use them lighting candles so I came up with a better idea.

Stacking  them on top of each other and securing them with hot glue then decorated with items I had on hand. I created a simple, yet elegant, pumpkin topiary. It will be a beautiful focal point for my balcony and an excellent way to greet the season.

The Beauty of Handmade on a Budget

Not only did these DIY fall decorations save me money, but they also allowed me to recycle materials I already had. The result is a cozy, personalized fall display that brings a bit of seasonal magic into my home without breaking the bank.

I encourage anyone else looking to decorate on a budget to look around your home and see what materials you can repurpose. A little creativity goes a long way, and your handmade pieces will always have more character than anything store-bought! 

Happy crafting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

You Can Be Anything You Want—Just Don’t Be Ungrateful

You Can Be Anything You Want—Just Don’t Be Ungrateful Be Grateful, Life is Good! Finding Peace in Times of Economic Uncertainty Recently,...